Normalization is a technique that decomposes the table to reduce the redundacy of data.
There are 3 normalization forms we need to check and follow to normalize tables.
1st Normalization Form:
- Each coloum of the table should have a single value
- Each column should belong to a same domain
- Two colums should not have a same name
- It need not to be a proper order, e.g., we need not to sort the records according to the date of DOB.
2nd Normalization Form:
- The table should be satisfy 1st Normalization Form
- All the non-key attributes myst be functionally dependently on primary key
3rd Normalization Form:
- The table should be satisfy 2nd Normalization Form
- There is no transitive dependency for non-prime attributes
The transitive functional dependency is as follows:
A is functional dependent on B and B is functional dependent on C. So, C is transitive dependent on A through B.
If you are interested in or have any problems with Business Intelligence, feel free to contact me.
Or you can connect with me through my LinkedIn.